W. G. On Toast

While assisting with the cataloguing of the Professor's extensive archive, I came across a photograph of a slice of toast. The Professor poured himself a small glass of Beaumont Cranfield Memorial Scrumpy Cider, settled into his favourite armchair and began to explain:

“One summer many years ago, I found myself acting as the captain of a benighted team of academics and other ne'er-do-wells in a rain-shortened match at Whitchurch Canonicorum. Having won the toss, I decided to bat second. It was a thoroughgoing disaster. 

At breakfast the next day, the face of W.G. Grace appeared on my toast as if to mock me. What you see before you is a photographic representation of that slice of toast. At least, I think it's W.G., although some have expressed the belief that it may, in fact, be Dame Edith Sitwell; herself a fine orthodox left-arm spinner.”

The Professor stared wistfully into his empty glass and continued in a solemn tone, “I ate the toast with marmalade. It's what W.G. would have wanted.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inadequate Zarf

Proust's Cycling Tour Of Norfolk

The Work Of The Clotworthy Brothers